Free tests for elderly on electric blankets
Kingston Trading Standards have provided this service to elderly people for many years. The following info. mught be of interest to anyone who wants to avail themselves of the service or who has an elderly relative in the Borough who should do so.
“Kingston Council offers free electric blanket tests to older people.
Kingston Council will be giving older residents in the borough the chance to have their electric blankets checked free of charge. The checks, by appointment only, will be made free on Tuesday 4 September. Priority will be given to older residents.
Last year, the checks made by Kingston Council Trading Standards found that 26% of those tested were classed as unsafe due to various faults. Blankets over 12 years of age may have not have an overheat protection device, so that any failure would be likely to result in a hazardous situation.
Ted Forsyth, Kingston Council’s Chief Trading Standards Officer said; “The failure rate is still too high and so we have decided to run another day of free checks on electric blankets for local residents as a means of reducing the risk to those using older type blankets.”
Home Office statistics show that every year approximately 1000 fires are caused by defective electric blankets. As a result of these fires, around 20 people are killed and 200 injured. Older people, who generally use electric blankets, are particularly vulnerable.
If you are a resident of the Royal Borough, you can have your blanket tested by booking an appointment by telephoning Kingston Council on 020 8547 5518. Blankets can only be tested if a prior appointment has been made and will be given on a first come first served basis.”
PCT debt threatens mental health services
The Kingston Guardian today reports that the ‘Springboard’ scheme to teach skills such as carpentry and printing to people with mental health problems will close before the start of the next financial year. This is the second mental health scheme to come under threat as a result of the PCT’s deficit in the last two months. The other proposed cut concerned the Kingston Hospital Liaison Psychiatry team which was discussed in July.
The PCT is reported to have debts of £22 million.
Green bags III
A further resident in Chamberlain Way has raised the failure of the contractors to empty the contents of the green bags, which cost residents £35 each per annum (£20 for concessions).
Paul Johnston has brought this to the attention of Head of Service at the Guildhall, who has promised action.
Sunrise appeal
Ward councillors attended all days of the appeal enquiry and Paul Johnston spoke to the enquiry on the third morning.
Opposing the appeal he said that,
- if allowed, the appeal would lead to the replacement of four serviceable family homes and gardens with what would amount to the biggest building in Surbiton Hill ward.
- He also drew attention to earlier infrastructure problems in the area, where Victorian drains had given problems in the past and pointed out that the Sunrise development would involve a substantial increase in the number of toilets, baths, washbasins and kitchen sinks discharging into the system.
- The question had also been raised as to whether the home if built would constitute a ‘home for life’ for the residents. It would be expensive to live there and nursing care was not envisaged in the plans. It would follow that residents could well become a burden on the already overstretched resources of Kingston Social Services and the heavily indebted Primary Care Trust.
Next Ward Surgery
Our next ward surgery will be held next Saturday, 21st July between 10 a.m. and 12 noon. The venue is the Small Hall, Surbiton Library. The entrance is behind the War Memorial and to the right of it.
Green bag scheme II
A resident in Cotterill Road complains that he has not been successful in getting the new green bag for which he paid emptied by those supposed to empty it. On complaining to RBK’s Environment Customer Service line he was asked if he would phone them every Thursday to remind them to empty his bag on Friday! Needless to say he was not best pleased by this. It looks like paying more for a much worse service.
Paul Johnston is seeing the Senior Environmental Services officer at Guildhall on Monday 16th July and will be raising the matter with him. We would be grateful if residents would let us know their experiences of this scheme in practice, whether their impressions are favourable or otherwise. Please use this site or email , phone or a ‘surgery visit’ to let us know.